Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Refurbishments

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Refurbishments Reply with quote

I found the part of the Disney website with the refurb schedule. Good news! Country Bear Jamboree closed today for a month. Last time I visited the bears, a year ago, they desperately needed the help. The moose had a lazy eye! Hall of Presidents closes in November, and the schedule has it closed until May, but that's where the schedule ends. How long does it normally take to install the new President? And will Blaine Gibson come back again?
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget about the space mountain refurb! That begins in January and will take about 14 months I read. Hopefully they wont change most of the queue theming and the music, but maybe increasing the ride capacity will be at the top of the agenda...
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I hadn't heard about that! It wasn't posted on their website, and it had all of the closings through April 09. I hope they increase capacity, but I love the inline seating.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I apologize if it isnt listed on their website, maybe I just heard thru speculation...Ill check into it more sometime
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK OK, i realized after some searching that i may have jumped the gun on that SM refurb...folks are speculating 2009 for it to start but no official announcement from Disney.

Im with you Belle on the in-line seating but in order to increase the through put they will have to revisit that i think, or find some way to increase gravity inside the building...no wait...thatd be the opposite of what space is right?!?!
MartinJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my understanding that the new President won't be sculpted by Blaine Gibson.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they sculpt both candidates prior to the election and after that, they can just put em in? I guess if they did they have alot of politicians heads lying around somewhere Shocked
MartinJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay's wonderful. You can sculpt all you want. Let it dry out. If you don't like it, soak it in water, it goes back to being a mush of clay, ready to sculpt again.

My guess is they sculpt both heads. The loser goes back in the vat. The winner gets their clay turned into more durable molds and castings.
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the clay I'm told... but yes. My mom had some oil-based clay in our hot Florida attic for years!... Still good! Just takes a little kneading to soften up again...

My personal guess though is that they wait to sculpt after the election is done... They know their game, so they can probably have one team in the building installing and programming the animatronic figure while another is sculpting and casting the head... Would be a waste to spend a lot of money (specialized labor) on a head that won't be used... The beauty of theme park builds is that the parts can be built in a lot of different shops and be installed on site relatively quickly... Installation, show control and programming probably eat up a good portion of that downtime schedule...
MartinJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil based clay. That would be Sculpey, wouldn't it? I noticed the oil bleeds out. At least, the small model I was working on now has this nifty oil stain underneath it. I'm kind of glad I stuck a piece of paper there (I drew the footprint on the paper and made it easy to rotate on my table).
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not sure what is in Sculpey. It does leave oil marks... and I left it on a paper towel on top of a little tv once, and it somehow ate into the finish and left a permanent texture on the top of the tv. The clay my mom had was from art school in the 1980's. A big hunk of wire-cut grayish stuff wrapped up in thick plastic... I think a little more as nature intended clay to be... Sculpey will eventually dry out and turn brittle, but the real oil-based stuff supposedly will "never" dry out...
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got the new Disney Parks dvd in the mail, and all references to Space Mountain have been deleted. It isn't even labeled on the map!! So... I guess the 2009 refurbishment is on!
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I keep hearing bits and pieces about that refurb, but I don't know what all it entails.

I also read an article, and those of you that said that they sculpted both president heads prior to the election was right! Whew! That's a lot of work...

I heard that the first phase of rehab for Disneyland's Small World went down, but no reports of Disney characters, so that is probably in the next phase of refurb...

Christmas is in full swing here at WDW... The Christmas trees at Epcot and Magic Kingdom are beautiful... In my "Mickey Monitor", it said that you can pick up "3D glasses" to see special things at the Osbourne lights display (if you are a passholder), so I intend to see what that's all about really soon...

If I hear anything else, or any solid reports/articles on the Space Mountain refurb, I will let you all know! Looking forward to catching the Country Bears in refurbed glory!
wokcreative

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really miss those bears out here. Still can't believe they were taken out right when the movie came out, especially to be replaced with Pooh
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Space Mountain refurb

According to the IAAPA newsletter today, WDW Space Mountain is finally going down for refurb. They are replacing track, re-doing the ceiling and making a new queue enclosure. No further details beyond that, but it was made clear that the refurb would not be as extensive as the Disneyland overhaul.

That's all for now... Peace!
DancinBelle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else heard the rumor that in addition to Obama, George Washington will also have a speech?
Loric

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the same.

The length of some refurbishments baffle me. Are resources just not properly allocated or does it really take that long to replace some things?

Rebuilding a track is one thing, but stuff like the show-swap for Hall of Prezzies seems like it should take less time. Like American Adventure I know it involves replacing the draperies - and for some reason that takes several days if not weeks. Since when does hanging draperies - even for theater - take that long?

I'm sure there's more going on then just that, but it seems like getting a broadway show up and running takes less time.
icandrawem2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha hall of prezzies...yeah it seems to be a really long refurb, 7 or 8 months right? Space mountain is only gonna be down for 7 months and they are replacing the track...Maybe they are tediously refurbishing each AA. I havent been to the HoP in a few years so I dont even remember what the show format is. Ill be excited to see the changes though.
wokcreative

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that they are refurbishing all of them, using better technologies, as well as a completely new lighting system (LED's) that will highlight each one better. It is a pretty major overhaul of the complete attraction, but I don't remember what else I read about. Maybe I can find it someplace.?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: