Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Theme park designers?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taylorthedreamer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Theme park designers? Reply with quote

Is there anyone else out there that wants to open their own theme park one day? im only 16, and plan on trying to achieve this dream. i already have lots of ideas and designs drawn out for different attractions and things, and i would love to talk to someone else who wants to achieve the same thing as me, since ive never met anyone else that does.
wokcreative

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many companies involved in overall development of theme parks and retail centers, museum complexes...
Could be a goal for the future, at least at first - experience before opening your own (without having to come up with the funding)
HHaase
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor;

Open your own park? That's a big task, but not impossible. But that has a lot of tasks to it. Depending on what you WANT to do, it may take you in a different direction than you originally planned. I know that it happened to me with aviation. I wanted to be a pilot, and somehow got sidetracked into communications. Now I'm looking into a big career change. It's not easy.

But, you've also got time on your side. Of all the stories that I've read, and research I've done, the sooner you can get your feet inside a park as an employee...the better off you will be for a long term career. Working at the bottom may not seem to fit your goals, but every bit of experience, every bit of knowledge, they all help. Particularly with something as monumentally huge as running you OWN park. The more you know about every area of how a park runs, the better off you are. It's not just the design work. It's also the finances, the customer service, and logistics logictics logistics.

Don't just study the successful parks either, make sure to study the total failures too. Figure out what makes one succeed, and the other fail. For an interesting case, google "Action Park". It was a place I spent a lot of time when I was a teenager. Some of the more simple online articles state that it had the #1 and #2 most dangerous amusement park rides ever. Once you see a photo of the Cannonball Loop.... you'll understand why.

-Hans
taylorthedreamer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know theres companies that help with the designing and all but i dont want other people to control what goes into it. ive already got plenty of designs and ideas written down for this park. i dont want it to be like other places, and it wont be. yes i will obviously need help coming up with funds and all, and im already saving my money for this, and whatever else money i would need for it, ill figure all of that out later on i guess
HHaase
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="taylorthedreamer"] yes i will obviously need help coming up with funds and all, and im already saving my money for this, and whatever else money i would need for it, ill figure all of that out later on i guess[/quote]

Heck, it may seem a bit early, but why not start up a basic business plan?
No time like the present to start working on a financial plan too. Even if it's just very basic, and gets revised a few thousand times over the years, just having a basic framework to start with will be a huge help as you develop the idea further.

Plus, you're going to probably start taking classes like accounting or economics in your last couple years of HS. As you learn about finances, apply it to your business plan for the park. When it comes to the grand scheme of a whole park (or any business), all these things are interlinked to some degree.

-Hans
taylorthedreamer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="HHaase"]Taylor;

Open your own park? That's a big task, but not impossible. But that has a lot of tasks to it. Depending on what you WANT to do, it may take you in a different direction than you originally planned. I know that it happened to me with aviation. I wanted to be a pilot, and somehow got sidetracked into communications. Now I'm looking into a big career change. It's not easy.

But, you've also got time on your side. Of all the stories that I've read, and research I've done, the sooner you can get your feet inside a park as an employee...the better off you will be for a long term career. Working at the bottom may not seem to fit your goals, but every bit of experience, every bit of knowledge, they all help. Particularly with something as monumentally huge as running you OWN park. The more you know about every area of how a park runs, the better off you are. It's not just the design work. It's also the finances, the customer service, and logistics logictics logistics.

Don't just study the successful parks either, make sure to study the total failures too. Figure out what makes one succeed, and the other fail. For an interesting case, google "Action Park". It was a place I spent a lot of time when I was a teenager. Some of the more simple online articles state that it had the #1 and #2 most dangerous amusement park rides ever. Once you see a photo of the Cannonball Loop.... you'll understand why.

-Hans[/quote]

thanks for the help. and yes i know its a huge task, and it will be very difficult. its something i love though. im obsessed with it. im still in high school so i have plenty of time to learn. once i get a chance im gonna go to my local library and get every book i can find about theme parks and imagineering. then in the future during college try and get a job at WDW and do lots of networking and things. as of now im gonna major in creative writing in college since its something i already love, and this park is all about telling stories and things of that sort and i love to tell stories. ill go research that now, i never thought of researching the failures, but i guess that makes alot of sense. thanks so much for your help
taylorthedreamer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="HHaase"][quote="taylorthedreamer"] yes i will obviously need help coming up with funds and all, and im already saving my money for this, and whatever else money i would need for it, ill figure all of that out later on i guess[/quote]

Heck, it may seem a bit early, but why not start up a basic business plan?
No time like the present to start working on a financial plan too. Even if it's just very basic, and gets revised a few thousand times over the years, just having a basic framework to start with will be a huge help as you develop the idea further.

Plus, you're going to probably start taking classes like accounting or economics in your last couple years of HS. As you learn about finances, apply it to your business plan for the park. When it comes to the grand scheme of a whole park (or any business), all these things are interlinked to some degree.

-Hans[/quote]

what should go into this buisness plan? as far as financial, i have a savings account and when i had a job i was putting every other pay check in there, but i no longer have a job since i quit. but every penny i find im putting in a piggy bank to save, because to me every penny helps. over the next couple years im gonna try to get alot better at finance and math, im horrible at math, so its something i really need to work on obviously. thanks for all your help
HHaase
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A business plan is basically going to become your "everything other than specific designs" book. And for something the size of a theme park it will probably be a big pile of 3 ring binders FULL of stuff by the time you're ready to open. Some of them finances, some of them demographics, some of them legal. A lof of it is stuff you haven't learned yet, and don't think you have to get it done any time soon. In fact, you're probably already doing it, to a degree.... you just didn't realize it yet.

For now, just worry about the basics. Start with your overall objective. It could be just a sentance, a paragraph, or even a few pages in detail. That's up to you. Define what your park is going to be. Go into the general theme(s) of the park, how big it will be, where it will be, who your focus is going to be on as far as customers. Everything after that should all support that objective.

Later on, as you gain the knowledge, you'll start filling in what you need to get to that objective. As I said, you will literally make thousands of changes as things progress in your ideas, plans, and knowledge.

Oh, and since this is a big dream of yours, have some FUN with the thing too. Especially now, when you're really at the basics of forming your idea. Don't get all businessman boring with it. After all, we are talking about theme parks here. Ever seen the movie "UP" by Pixar? The Adventure Book that Ellie has as a little girl it can be considered a business plan to a degree.

-Hans
taylorthedreamer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for explaining it Smile im gonna get to work on that now. and trust me its all fun for me, and i know lots of stuff will most likely change with it. i have ideas that ive come up with which in a way i can see them being safe, but im not entirely sure if they could be. and no i for some reason have yet to see "UP" which is odd since im a huge disney and pixar fan. i think ill go rent it soon
Joey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be harsh, but you are highly unlikley to ever own your own park... And even if you did manage it, you cannot take control of the creative design of it to the extent that you want to.

People excell at different things - business, creativity, marketing, etc... To put all those roles in one hand is industry suicide.

Any creative department at a park has to battle with the finance guys to have their way, and they very rarely get their way. It would be so easy for creatives to run wild with ideas, but there just isn't the need to. It would be throwing money away. There needs to be sensible people holding the reins.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
taylorthedreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Joey"]I hate to be harsh, but you are highly unlikley to ever own your own park... And even if you did manage it, you cannot take control of the creative design of it to the extent that you want to.

People excell at different things - business, creativity, marketing, etc... To put all those roles in one hand is industry suicide.

Any creative department at a park has to battle with the finance guys to have their way, and they very rarely get their way. It would be so easy for creatives to run wild with ideas, but there just isn't the need to. It would be throwing money away. There needs to be sensible people holding the reins.[/quote]

well thats your opinion. i would obviously hire people to do the buisness side of things and marketing. id rather not follow down the path everyone else does, hiring other people to come up with ideas that i already have and am proud of and have sketched out and written out many things for them. i like my way better, i know theres a huge chance it could never happen, but im willing to fight for it. if you love something enough and want it and work for it, it can and will happen. so im gonna continue with my plans and you can see it all built one day. watch me Smile
Joey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good luck. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
grumpyfan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey, don't be such a dream killer. I know I'm new here, but isn't this site all about dreaming and encouraging others to do the same?

The world needs more dreamers. People who can dream big, then act on them. If more people acted on their dreams and actually had the courage to pursue them, I'm convinced it would be a much better world. So dream on, and dream big I say! Who knows, maybe one day you will have your own theme park and I will work for you designing stories and attractions for it!
taylorthedreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="grumpyfan"]Joey, don't be such a dream killer. I know I'm new here, but isn't this site all about dreaming and encouraging others to do the same?

The world needs more dreamers. People who can dream big, then act on them. If more people acted on their dreams and actually had the courage to pursue them, I'm convinced it would be a much better world. So dream on, and dream big I say! Who knows, maybe one day you will have your own theme park and I will work for you designing stories and attractions for it![/quote]

thank you Smile
i think the world would be so much better if more people didnt just give up because it seemed difficult or impossible. obviously everything is possible, most dreams have already been done before, therefore they can happen again. and you can totally come work for me. i wanna start out with making movies, mostly animated ones, im writing a script for one now and hopefully one day i can start my own company and make them real.
Joey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think being realistic is encouragement, just encouragement in the right direction! I think aiming to have your own theme park in which you are the creative director is insanity and I'd rather fire encouragement in a direction which may be fruitful, but you don't have to listen to me.

What I will say is, get on with it then! Make your ideas into more solid things with sketches, plans, learn to use google sketchup, make models and the like. And do it now, and share them, and develop them and make them awesome. A friend of mine has been doing this for years, for fun - designing rides and making animations, and he's progressed so far. I've only really just started, and it always looks to me like on this forum there is a lot of talk about it but not a lot of, well... doing?

The other point I'd like to make is that your dream is a carbon copy of Disney's. The world doesn't need more Disney's, it needs originality.
taylorthedreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Joey"]I think being realistic is encouragement, just encouragement in the right direction! I think aiming to have your own theme park in which you are the creative director is insanity and I'd rather fire encouragement in a direction which may be fruitful, but you don't have to listen to me.

What I will say is, get on with it then! Make your ideas into more solid things with sketches, plans, learn to use google sketchup, make models and the like. And do it now, and share them, and develop them and make them awesome. A friend of mine has been doing this for years, for fun - designing rides and making animations, and he's progressed so far. I've only really just started, and it always looks to me like on this forum there is a lot of talk about it but not a lot of, well... doing?

The other point I'd like to make is that your dream is a carbon copy of Disney's. The world doesn't need more Disney's, it needs originality.[/quote]

well actually, it can be done. just because it hasnt been done before doesnt mean it cant now. just saying. and im definently already doing. i have a notebook full of sketches and ideas and names for things. im definently doing. and i spend hours upon hours researching everything i need to know about theme parks and the buisness and all. figuring out how some parks failed while others succeded.
this park definently wont be like disney, it defiently has a few of the same ideas, like me wanting to create movies and bring those characters into the park, but thats something i love about disney, and i love telling stories and things of that sort. so yes there are similarities. but there are many differences. some of my ride ideas are more for teens/adults. while some are for everyone. i like that you were trying to help, but, anything is possible. yes there is a possibility i cant build it my way, but why build a theme park if you want nothing to do with the creative process? thats one of the reasons i want to build one, why would i go and hire people to do it for me?
grumpyfan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seemed appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPnudujlBZI&feature=related
Joey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means, prove the realists like myself wrong. And indeed, don't let alone say you can't do something if you know you can. But be realistic, and by that I mean work your arse off to achieve what you seek, because I'm 99.9% certain you won't be working anywhere near hard enough to achieve your goal. I don't have such ambitious goals, but even I know I'm not working hard enough to achieve my modest dreams. It's not that you're not working hard, it's that the sheer scale of how hard you need to be working is absurd in itself. Razz So make sure you prove us wrong by working your arse off to achieve something great, or we may say just "I told you so". Smile
Joey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means, prove the realists like myself wrong. And indeed, don't let alone say you can't do something if you know you can. But be realistic, and by that I mean work your arse off to achieve what you seek, because I'm 99.9% certain you won't be working anywhere near hard enough to achieve your goal. I don't have such ambitious goals, but even I know I'm not working hard enough to achieve my modest dreams. It's not that you're not working hard, it's that the sheer scale of how hard you need to be working is absurd in itself. Razz So make sure you prove us wrong by working your arse off to achieve something great, or we may say just "I told you so". Smile
taylorthedreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trust me, i will. i know its a somewhat unrealistic goal, but its something i love more than ive loved anything in my life, then again i am only almost 17, but i just know im meant to do it, like how some people say they know their supposed to marry someone, i know im meant to tell stories and create something great that i love for people. i know its going to be extremely difficult, and im gonna wanna give up but i wont let myself, ive been told too many times that i cant do things, but i know i can, i know i will be flat broke many times and be insanely frustrated but anything that is difficult is obviously worth it
HHaase
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unrealistic goal? Pshaw!!!! No such thing. If it were, then how the heck would we have all these theme parks in the world already?

Difficult? Yes.
Expensive? Oh yeah.
Unrealistic? Not even close.

I actually just finished up Steve Alcorn's online class, and I have to say it's definitely worth looking into. It's not going to get you any college credits, but I think it's a great overview into the design process. It was recommended to me by a couple of folks here, and I have to say they made a great recommendation.

-Hans
wokcreative

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You went through quickly. I've been too busy to keep up with commenting over there. Great ideas for what I did see (I'll catch up on it all soon).
You should post your main project on these boards, for even more feedback. I think everyone here would like to see your stuff, too, even if just an abbreviated version (or all of it, and the process of going through it all and making adustments...).
taylorthedreamer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="HHaase"]Unrealistic goal? Pshaw!!!! No such thing. If it were, then how the heck would we have all these theme parks in the world already?

Difficult? Yes.
Expensive? Oh yeah.
Unrealistic? Not even close.

I actually just finished up Steve Alcorn's online class, and I have to say it's definitely worth looking into. It's not going to get you any college credits, but I think it's a great overview into the design process. It was recommended to me by a couple of folks here, and I have to say they made a great recommendation.

-Hans[/quote]

yea im definently going to take the class at one point, maybe next summer or something
taylorthedreamer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="wokcreative"]You went through quickly. I've been too busy to keep up with commenting over there. Great ideas for what I did see (I'll catch up on it all soon).
You should post your main project on these boards, for even more feedback. I think everyone here would like to see your stuff, too, even if just an abbreviated version (or all of it, and the process of going through it all and making adustments...).[/quote]

ive been thinking about posting some stuff, its just i dont want the ideas taken by someone else and then them using them as their own
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: