Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Land for building a theme park

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rolyataylor2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Land for building a theme park Reply with quote

I know most all theme parks are built in the sweltering heat, I was wondering people's opinion of what is the ideal environment for building a Themepark.

I live in Oregon and have a nearly complete plan for a theme park, I feel this park would thrive in Oregon, the climate would not be good for it though.

What would you suggest if someone wanted to build in Oregon? Indoor coasters and what not. What areas on the west coast would work best besides prime real estate in southern California?
wokcreative

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt pretty much figured out California and Florida. They are pretty much still the only areas that are open year round.

Welcome to the boards!
MartinJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for something to build in Oregon, you might want to look at other locations that have done something similar. Minneapolis has the Mall of America with an indoor park. Granted, the them surrounding it is mostly buy, buy, buy.

I imagine, though, that you are wondering what kind of research you need to do for a great location.

You want to make sure there is easy access to the site from the land and sky. That is, epressways and major airports nearby. If you aren't incorporating overnight accomodations, make sure they are close enough to get to your place from theirs.

You want to make sure there is enough land for the place. Not only do you need to worry about the actual guest areas in the park, you need to consider parking, operations, employee parking, product storage, waste removal, maintenance areas, vehicle barns, possible livestock quarters. All the infrastructure.

Finally. Will there be enough in the line of utilities (fuel, water, electricity)?

If you are considering a northern climate, you might want to put a bigger emphasis on mass transit. Your guests from southern locales can't drive in the snow. I know. I've watched them white knuckle drive when there's just a dusting of the stuff (or worse, drive slower than walking speed).

Disney hired out the scouting of his park locations. If you want some examples of northern parks, you could look at what parks in England, Germany, and France have done to accomodate the climate.
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: North Reply with quote

I've seen and heard a little bit about the development of parks for the northern climates. It's a different business plan... Most of those parks are "seasonal", which means that they are open about 6 months out of the year (give or take). That means you have to make all of your revenue in less time. I think that Disney building in Florida and California has allowed them to make more revenue because the parks don't experience any "downtime"... they can make revenue on the land year-round. While it may be true that having your park open year-round means lots of maintenance, the weather up north also creates unique maintenance demands. I think that seasonal parks can be more challenging, in a way, from an operational standpoint. Also, if you are building in a new market (like Oregon), it can be a challenge to realistically estimate how many visitors you will probably have in a year -- how many locals, and how many people might be willing to drive from further away to get there... How much revenue is park is likely to make in a year can effect how much investors are willing to put in at the outset in order to build it. That is another reason why places like Florida get such big new theme parks -- the audience is already here, and it's not too hard to convince people to pay for an extra hotel night to see another park... There are some seasonal amusement parks in the North like King's Island, Cedar Point, etc. You might want to find out more about how they operate, how quickly the parks grow, where a majority of their guests come from, etc. They seem to have a solid business model, and they've been around for a long time.
rolyataylor2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your responses, The main reason for the location is the theme of the park i want to build.

My plans depict a Nintendo theme park filled with amusements and rides. I have detailed much of the park in a business plan like portfolio.

The main reason for the location in Oregon is the popularity of Nintendo in this state. Target, Sears, most all stores sell some form of Nintendo memorabilia here already.

The design of the park that I have should fare well in Oregon, the major problem is rain. doesn't snow much near Portland and in the lower elevations. Does rain mean closing down all the rides? If it were built near some mountains skiing could be a short ride away.

Public transit is HUGE out here already, and they have been expanding the lightrail system recently. I am pretty sure that they would be able to run a lightrail strait from the airport because it already runs all through Portland and to the airport.

The park is merely a hobby project of mine, but who knows.
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With rain, it depends. Here in Central Florida, we are called the "Lightning Capital of the US" (some people call it the lighning capital of the world, but that isn't quite accurate). Anyhow, a lot of rides here end up closed not because of rain, but because of lightning (roller coasters, for example, are tall metal structures). I am not sure what rides get closed just because of rain (although I think that sometimes they will close coasters if there's a cold, sharp rain... simply because getting whipped in the face at 55mph with cold, stinging rain is no fun...)

Your rain and transportation issue sounds more close to what designers had to contend with for Disneyland Paris. It is outside of the city center, and receives a decent amount of rain and sometimes snow. Apparently there are covered walkways and fireplaces that were added to major areas of the park to provide people with places that they could eat and shop when the weather turned bad. It's worth looking at what they did if you want to add weather and transportation considerations to your design.

Nintendo has a lot of fun properties. Things like that do require extra work to get the blessing of Nintendo (and probably pay licensing fees as well). Even if it never gets built, it can be a good exercise and an impressive addition to your portfolio of work to show how you've thought through something so carefully...
stephenxanders

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People normally put themeparks miles away the city. It's better because you can find a lot more space and it will also boost tourist attractions. Even in other places, tourist spots are not normally seen on main cities, it will always require a lot of travel to make it exciting Smile
rolyataylor2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An area like this would be good, hag lake is a popular destination for vacationers in the summer.
[url]http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=45.487817,-123.246775&spn=0.043505,0.111494&t=h&z=14[/url]

Or for cheaper land and drier climate, but it is outside of the Portland area. Gets a lot of snow, cold climate.
[url]http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ll%3D43.723971,-120.430069%26spn%3D0.358768,0.891953&mrt=all&sll=43.723971,-120.430069&sspn=0.358768,0.891953&ie=UTF8&ll=43.928561,-120.94986&spn=0.184953,0.445976&t=h&z=12[/url]
Tedward

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rolyataylor2"]The main reason for the location in Oregon is the popularity of Nintendo in this state. Target, Sears, most all stores sell some form of Nintendo memorabilia here already.[/quote]

Not to rain on your parade but how is this different than any other state? Part of your market research should include this sort of information. I would assume all large chain stores in all the states carry pretty much the same line of licensed merchandise.

You may want to try developing your own intellectual property. A large corporation like Nintendo is not likely to consider a proposal in a small, seasonal market such as Oregon. I think there are some successful themed attractions in Oregon. At least one permanent ren faire ([url=http://shrewfaire.com/]Shrewsbury[/url]) and an amusement park ([url=http://www.enchantedforest.com/enchanted_forest.html]Enchanted Forest[/url]). You might investigate what they have done and see if you can apply some lessons from them.
Sugar70

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to make sure there is easy access to the site from the land and sky.
That is, epressways and major airports nearby.
If you aren't incorporating overnight accomodations, make sure they are close enough to get to your place from theirs.

http://theartofcoverthypnosis.com/
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: