Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Getting started

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Post a project - post a resume
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Getting started Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
After many years and lots of stress I've finally decided to go after my dreams and pursue a career in themed entertainment. I have some general ideas about which areas I'm interested in, but could use some guidance in terms of what path to take in terms of education. If anyone can give any advice about that, or refer me to someone who could, that would be great.
Many thanks,
Nathan

DustinLawrence
(7/20/05 8:36 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Getting started
What areas were you interested in?

As far as education goes, it depends on what you want to do. I am by no means a theme park education adviser, but I would suggest getting a BA or BS. Also, I would try to attend school in Florida or California (because many of the biggest theme parks are in these states).

From reading around the net and talking to others, it seems any type of Engineering or Machinists jobs are the most plentiful. Find things you're good at and strengthen them!

I also find that it helps to make many friends. Networking is how to get a job in America!

If it is your dream, you can make it come true... sometimes you may have to sacrifice, but in the end it will be worth it.

Dustin

parttimehero
(7/20/05 9:29 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Getting started I feel particularly drawn to working with sets and props (although I can't quite decide between designing or building, if they need to be separated in that way), so would you have any suggestions as to which field(s) might be useful for that? I guess I didn't mention it before, but I've already got a BA in a completely unrelated field (it took a long time for me to accept that this is what I'd rather do). Do you think it would be best to just start over and get a second Bachelor's or try and go for a Master's in whatever field I end up choosing?
Thanks for the information,
Nathan

HoloReality
(7/21/05 4:42 am)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post props While taking a few classes in set design and lighting might be helpful, hands on experience will be the fastest route to getting a "real" job doing that kind of stuff. Volunteer at your local little theater to start with, and be sure to document with pics any of the work you do so you can put it in your portfolio. One production may help cement your resolve that that is what you want to do ... or could quickly help you figure out whether its the designing or building that you really prefer.

Good Luck,
Tonya

DustinLawrence
(7/22/05 6:27 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Getting started I would imagine any type of theatrical or drama stuff would help. I volunteer at a haunted house, we we have to design sets and deal with props. Find a local haunted house in your area (around late august is when they start construction).

As far as education goes, I am not sure what type of University level education could help. I have heard of some success stories (mainly WD Imagineering) from this school.

www.calarts.edu/index.html

Thats pretty much my knowledge! good luck!

Dustin

parttimehero
(7/23/05 7:24 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del

New Post Re: Getting started Thanks for the information. It will give me a nice place to start from.
Best,
Nathan
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Post a project - post a resume All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: