Themed Attraction.com Forum Index Themed Attraction.com
Welcome to the official message boards for themedattraction.com.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google

Nemesis: Sub-Terra

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brookes

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Nemesis: Sub-Terra Reply with quote

I'm not sure how many people on these boards will have ridden Nemesis: Sub-Terra; the new ride for Alton Towers this year which has had a lot of mixed reviews since opening. Personally I think it's a step in the right direction for rides incorporating thrills and storylines, but a lot of people have been disappointed. Here is my personal opinion on the ride and I'd love to hear what others think if they've ridden it:

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

So I finally got to ride Sub-Terra. I'll be honest, I thought it was really good. After the bashing it got I really didn't think it would be, but I enjoyed it. Whether it's a bit of fanboyism or changes which were made before I rode I don't know, but I liked it. There was still something not quite right though.

I can't really talk about changes because I didn't ride it before they were made, but there were screens before the first lift clearly explaining the story. At this point it seemed rather comparable to Tower of Terror at Disney (standing on designated steps waiting for a lift...). I didn't really have a problem with the staff shouting; I thought it added to the experience and there was a guy walking through the queue talking to everyone.

So the first "lift". It appears to go down and all that. Then a Phalanx guy shouts and scares the hell out of most people in the lift. After being ushered to your seat and being told to put your arms up, the restraint goes down and it begins. Honestly, I think this main part of the ride is done fantastically well. The theming is great and if I didn't know it was about to drop I'd be thinking: "What the hell is about to happen?!". I can't remember exactly what happens but there's a lot of darkness and spray and general panic which builds a hell of a lot of anticipation for the drop itself.

You drop and then you're in the cave - which also looked good - and you get the prods and the tentacles. These were really effective. Back up you go (in darkness) and your restraint lifts up. All good up to now then. After this the ride just goes downhill a bit. You are told to get to the exit because the egg's hatched, but nobody knows where the exit is. After being told where to go, everyone dwindles into the lift and there doesn't feel any rush at all. The final lift goes pitch black and you feel the floor go and the like, which are all good effects, but then the door opens and you get shouted at "Go, Go, Go".

This is my biggest issue. This implies there's still something else coming. If it showed you that Nemesis had gone back down into the cave or something, it would show the ride has ended. But you're being shouted at to carry on like there's another scene. I don't have a problem with the length of the ride as it is - I personally feel it's quite substantial, but there is no real end. I think the question "Is that it?", which is the biggest issue people seem to have with the ride, stems from this problem.

However, as a whole, I think it's quite a solid ride. It's a fantastic concept and the general public certainly seemed to be enjoying it when I was there. It may be due to these changes that they've made but it sounds like it's made it better.
bread1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: This is good Reply with quote

So I finally got to ride Sub-Terra. I'll be honest, I thought it was really good. This is good.
alexandre65

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemisis Sub-Terra' at Alton Towers is just an illusion really, when I went on their I was expecting a big fall. there is a fall but its last for one second and its nothing really.
Holly
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... sounds like the ride story got a little awkward at the end. Maybe they tell people to "Hurry" just so that they can keep the unload section of the ride clear, but it sounds like people were just plain confused as the ride was ending. It sounds like the overall drop is really good, though... and it must be a thrilling ride. Thanks so much for the in-depth review! It's great to hear about rides that we don't all get to see in person... Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Themed Attraction.com Forum Index -> Imagination Forum - Theme Park Attraction Design & Imagineering All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: