Cantilevered Coaster Concept

Welcome to the new Imagination Forum. This board exists to discuss all things "Imagineering".

Brainstorm a ride, ask questions about theme park design, debate the latest and greatest rides, discuss the themed entertainment industry. Your imagination is the limit of this board!

Moderator: Imagination Forum

ntweisen

Cantilevered Coaster Concept

Post by ntweisen » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:34 pm

The cantilevered roller coaster is a thrill ride concept which utilizes two sets of rails to create an unpredictable ride experience (similar to 4D coasters). I remember hearing about this concept a few years ago. The ride could function as a slower dark ride or a high speed steel coaster.

I work as a CAD Engineer and in my free time I've been creating some CAD models for John Hogg's Cantilevered Roller Coaster concept. These are still a work in progress but here are a couple videos of the model. The purpose is mainly to show proof of concept and the possible range of motion of the vehicle. If you go back and look at the older videos you can see the progression of the design process.

Video 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2v3QOhrKPk

Video 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMV2TVu_M5E

Is there anything you would like to see in the models which I haven't shown yet? What can I do to make them better?

wokcreative

Post by wokcreative » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:38 am

This is a great idea! I can see it working as an open ride, with just track showing, or with a great storyline - dodging obstacles..., inside a building, or outside.
It has different possibilities than the Kuka arm that is used in Harry Potter - endless possibilities!

ntweisen

Post by ntweisen » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:07 am

You've got it exactly right! Hopefully this ride system would be much less expensive on a per seat basis over the Kuka system which would allow a wider range of potential parks to have one.

HHaase
Site Admin

Post by HHaase » Fri May 06, 2011 8:32 pm

Ahhhhh, that second link I think goes far better in showing the concept. When I watched the first one, I didn't realize the second set of tracks was involved. I initially thought it was some type of articulated arm that the car was connected to and moved via hydraulics or inertia.

Neat concept. The range of motion is astounding.

Just to throw the idea out there, I wonder if you could get some additonal controls into there via varying the gauge width of the side rails?

-Hans