Skills

Welcome to the new Imagination Forum. This board exists to discuss all things "Imagineering".

Brainstorm a ride, ask questions about theme park design, debate the latest and greatest rides, discuss the themed entertainment industry. Your imagination is the limit of this board!

Moderator: Imagination Forum

Joey

Skills

Post by Joey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:01 am

What skills do you think are the most valuable those wishing to design themed attractions? What skills should one develop?

Here's some things I think might be the most useful. Please add to them, or expand upon them, say what you think is a great skill and why or maybe what isn't quite so important.

- Brainstorming ideas
- Sketching
- Photo manipulation
- Creative writing
- Digital 3D model making, sketchup, z-brush
- Architectural knowledge

Holly
Site Admin

Post by Holly » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:51 pm

I think that those are great ideas... I think that it is important to be the best in your field that you can be (whether 3D modelling, graphic design, architecture, writing, etc.). Somewhere, there is a list of all of the types of professionals used by Imagineering, and each profession naturally requires a different set of skills. In addition to striving for excellence, I think that you need to have good people skills because every project is a team effort and people love working with someone who is pleasant :-)

Great conversation topic idea!

taylorthedreamer

Post by taylorthedreamer » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:51 pm

i think also just have a great imagination, and a very open mind. and to me, i think maybe the fact of having a semi-child like imaginative mind. im 17 and still like a 5 year old at heart, and i hope i never loose that mindset, because its helped me come up with tons of really great ideas
“Dream It. Wish It. Do It.”

wokcreative

Post by wokcreative » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:19 pm

Yes, all those things. Like Holly said, exceptionally standing out at something specific, as well as a good, well-rounded knowledge of many other things. Doing many different things has kept me busy over the years, working in TV, but specific skills with tech stuff has been the most profitable in finally settling in - same with themed entertainment industry. It seems that you have to really stand out, with experience (proven track record) to get hired.
Also, it depends on what you want to do. The example that always stands out to me is: Tony Baxter being the driving force behind figuring out how to make Big Thunder Mountain work, when engineers said it couldn't be done. He used his artistic/design/modeling skills to show how it could be done. Then the engineers stepped in and made it happen.