Article on designing with small budgets

If you have a themed entertainment project, post the requirements of your project here. For entrepeneurs and family entertainment center and themed venue owners, this is a great place to solicit help and advice. If you're a designer, this is a great place to network your skills.

Moderator: Imagination Forum

gert eussen

Article on designing with small budgets

Post by gert eussen » Sat May 14, 2011 2:33 am

Hi everybody,
It has been along time since I last posted something. It's been quit busy.... However I thought the following article I wrote would be very interesting for you. It's about designing with small budgets and you can read it here:
http://entertainmentdesigner.com/articl ... rt-eussen/

please check it out and would be great to have some feedback...

wokcreative

Post by wokcreative » Sat May 14, 2011 2:26 pm

Good article. Nice to hear about the practical example. Like that web site, too - had not heard of it before.

Tedward

Post by Tedward » Mon May 16, 2011 2:05 pm

Interesting article and nice choice of illustrations.

If there was one element lacking though it would have been one or two concrete examples of choices not made. Maybe what options you might have had for the unattractive tent or alternate materials for the bridge?

Thanks for sharing.

gert eussen

Post by gert eussen » Thu May 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Dear tedward, I understand you found a lack of concrete examples, and will be happy to give you some. But firts, the article intention is to give some inside to the complex work of designing and building a themed envirioment, exspecially where there is limited time and small budgets involved. In this perspective I tried to outline the complexity of the process and the essential of thinking and acting fast. I surrley hope that that message comes across.

Then to give you some answers to your questions; there were no alternative materials for the bridge. The choise for building with wood, was based on the innitial story board for the ride, which implicated that visitors would leave from Canadian forest like area. The other options for the tent were, breaking it down, which really wasn't a choise, covering it up with camoouflage nets, or planting trees in front of the tent, which would take a long time to completly hide the tent. In the end, we came to the conclusion that all efforts to 'hide' the tent were not feassable due to money and time. Therfore the 'distraction' idea is very effective in this case, and works perfectly.

I hope that this gives you some more insight....
all the best.

www.gerteussen.com

Tedward

Post by Tedward » Thu May 19, 2011 3:36 pm

Thanks for the follow up. Your message did come through and I understand that the article itself illustrates your point. A limited budget of words or writing time imposes decisions on how deeply you can go into a subject.

I'm just always hungry for more. Sorry for being a little greedy. :)

Thanks again.

gert eussen

Post by gert eussen » Fri May 20, 2011 1:09 am

No problem. The whole idea of linking the article to you guys is to evoke comments and quistions.....I our proffesion asking questions, (sometimes motivated by greed), is perhaps the most imprortant part of the process...along with some talent, but that's another story.

The beauty of this website is that it gives great inspiration and teachings for those interested in the entertainment design. It also gave me plenty inspiration and in this way, I would like to return the favour to others. So, again, asking questions are key...

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:28 am

Lovely article and beautiful concept work. Thanks for the link, this website is rather good.